May 19th through May 24th, 2015
Essex Crossing Pedometer*
"You can't improve what you can't measure." - Nike+ FuelBand
"An unprecedented development." - Delancey Street Associates (Taconic Investment Partners LLC, L+M Development Partners, BFC Partners, The Prusik Group LLC, Grand St. Settlement)
1. Latent spatial congruence as a form of imaginary identification.
2. The quantified notion of space driving real estate development (Essex Crossing) and activity trackers (FitBit).
3. 12 steps or 30 feet as dimensions of specific other locales (wavelengths of particular sounds).
4. A cache of particularly congruent elsewheres (the feminist urbanism of Alice Constance Austin's Llano del Rio, the "social condenser" of Moishe Ginzburg's Narkomfin building, the mansion house of the Oneida Community).
5. Repertoire for navigating occupied space.
Daily performances at 5:00pm from May 19th to 22nd begin in the gallery and move out in relation to one of the four “Essex Crossing: Phase 1” construction sites.
Bill Dietz has lived and worked in Berlin since 2003. He is a composer, the artistic director of Ensemble Zwischentöne, Co-Chair of Music/Sound in Bard College’s Milton Avery Graduate School of the Arts, and co-founder of Ear/Wave/Event. From sounding the facade of the Cité radieuse to orchestrating echoes across city blocks in Manhattan to projecting sonified architectural models onto audiences, his work examines the performance of listening and the genealogy of the concert. He has collaborated extensively with Peter Ablinger, Catherine Christer Hennix, Chris Newman, Christian von Borries, and through 2009 with Maryanne Amacher. In 2011 he was the recipient of a working fellowship at the Künstlerhaus Lukas in Ahrenshoop and a residency fellowship from the Goethe Institute in New York. From 2012 to 2013 he was a resident fellow of the Akademie Schloss Solitude in Stuttgart. In 2013 he was artist-in-residence of the Cité radieuse in Marseille, as well as gmem – centre national de la création musicale. In 2015, Edition Solitude released a monograph on his composed listenings.
*Essex Crossing Pedometer is an iteration of “THE ANONYMOUS INTIMACY OF AUDIBILITY IS INDEED AN ALTERNATIVE TO REPRODUCTIVE SEXUALITY,” an ongoing cycle of works sonically reenacting formal and organizational models lifted from historical communitarian associations.